The Pitt Meadows Fire & Rescue Service conducts regular fire inspections of all public and commercial buildings. 

Fire Inspections ensure the safety of the public, occupants of the building and firefighters, who may be required to enter a building during an emergency.  

During an inspection, an inspector do the following:

  • look for any fire hazards in and around the building
  • ensure the proper installation and maintenance of certain life safety systems
  • check posted signs and information according to the BC Fire Code, BC Building Code and municipal fire bylaws. 

If you are a business owner or landlord, it is important to understand the general requirements of a routine inspection.

Items Checked During an Inspection

The following are the items that are most commonly checked during an annual or semi-annual fire inspection:

  • fire alarm systems
  • automatic sprinkler systems
  • emergency lights
  • exiting including signs, doors and means of egress
  • fire doors
  • fire extinguishers
  • indoor and outdoor storage
  • storage of flammable or combustible liquids
  • laundry rooms
  • fire safety plans
  • Fire Department connections for sprinkler systems and fire hydrants
  • commercial kitchen exhaust hood systems
  • spray booths

Requirements for New Buildings

The New Building Checklist outlines the requirements new buildings must complete prior to final occupancy.  Review the checklist to make sure you are prepared.

Book an Inspection

Pitt Meadows Fire & Rescue conducts routine inspections of all public buildings on an annual or semi-annual basis. To book a non-routine inspection contact the Fire Prevention Office at or 604-465-2490.


All fire protection technicians performing inspections, testing or maintenance of fire safety equipment or systems must be certified under the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Act of British Columbia (ASTTBC).

They are required to properly record and tag or label any inspections according to the ASSTBC and BC Fire Code.


Was this page helpful?