Create a Home Fire Escape Plan
What would you do if there was a fire?
- Make sure you can get out safely if there is a fire. Create a home fire escape plan. Practice it with your family ahead of time.
- Try to plan two ways to get out of each room in your home; This way, if one way is blocked, there is another way to get out.
- Remember to stay low on the floor. Smoke rises. Inhaling smoke will make it hard to breathe.
- Do not stop to grab possessions or try to help pets.
- Meet your family members outside at an easy to remember place.
- Call 9-1-1.
- Do not go back into the house for anything, no matter how important it is.
Other Fire Safety Information for Children
Find fun fire safety activities
- Sparky the Fire Dog’s website
- Sparky’s games
- The Uh-Oh’s
- Smoky the Bear’s fire danger rating activity
- Campfire conversation starters