The City of Pitt Meadows proudly celebrates the work of Pitt Meadows Fire & Rescue Service members over the last 80 years.
Since its creation in 1941, dedicated members of the Pitt Meadows Fire & Rescue Service have provided a professional fire service to the citizens of the City of Pitt Meadows. The department has always been committed to education and prevention to promote community safety. The department provides full-service fire protection 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
Fire & Rescue Service Begins in 1941
According to the historical record, as described by author Edith McDermott, the original Pitt Meadows Fire & Rescue Service came into existence immediately after the bombing of Pearl Harbour in 1941. It originally operated under the Air Raid Protection system and the first Fire Chief was Hans Hoffmann. The other original members were Henry Doerksen, Henry Jensen, Douglas McDermott, Roy Lehman, Mac Wickson, Gordon Park, Ernie Lang, Oscar Austring, Slim Stewart, and Frank Caws.
First Fire Truck
The first fire truck for Pitt Meadows was built by the members themselves. It was a 1929 Model A touring car which was torn down, rebuilt and outfitted for firefighting duties. This truck still exists today and is pictured here in its most common role now, that of the clown wagon for the Pitt Meadows Day Parade.
Old Fire Hall
The old Fire Hall was located next to the Lions Den on Harris Road and served as the base of operations for many years. Though very cramped and ill-equipped for firefighting forces there are a great many memories cherished by anyone who was a part of its history in the department. The former Fire Hall was demolished in 2002 as part of continued development of the community.
Evolution of the Fire Department
The Fire Department has undergone many changes over the years including the move to a career chief, then an additional two career chiefs and an administrative assistant, and now the change to 24/7 coverage by sixteen unionized firefighters supplemented by paid-on-call volunteer firefighters .
The number of members has increased over the years, along with the number of responses the department makes to calls for assistance by the citizens and visitors of Pitt Meadows.
The New Fire Hall
Construction of the new Fire Hall is now complete and has replaced the previous Fire Hall that was built on the same site in 1983.