On March 5, 2019, following months of careful analysis, Pitt Meadows City Council decided to rebuild the fire hall on the existing site. A variety of factors were considered in selecting this site including: emergency response times, access, neighbourhood impacts, building costs and site size.
The new building replaced the old fire hall, which opened in 1983 and was no longer meeting the needs of the fire department. The new facility is larger and addresses a number of safety and operational hazards for first responders.
For more information, visit the project page:
Project Construction Milestones
Demolition of the old 1983 Fire Hall was completed during the summer of 2020 in order to accomdate construction of the new hall.
The community is invited to join Mayor and Council on a virtual final tour of the old hall to reflect on its many years of service to this community, and to watch the building walls come down as we embark on the next chapter for our Fire Department.
Read the full media release here.
In order to accommodate construction of the new Fire Hall, the a new communications tower was built slightly to the west and the old tower was decommission and removed. This work was completed in late April of 2021.
Old Fire Hall (built in 1983 ) Rendering of the new Fire Hall
April 26, 2021 - Mayor Bill Dingwall and Fire Chief Mike Larsson recognized the start of construction of the new Fire Hall during a small groundbreaking ceremony.
“On behalf of City Council, I am very proud to see construction begin on this much needed new Fire Hall for our community,” says Mayor Bill Dingwall. “With public and firefighter safety as our top priority, the new state-of-the-art facility will provide a healthy work environment with important training facilities and a modern Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) for first responders and EOC staff. It will also enhance communications and services during emergencies in our region and has space to meet the needs of our community for decades to come.”
Construction of the new three-storey, 25,270 square-foot post disaster rated facility with a four-storey hose tower, four tandem bays, and the City’s new Emergency Operations Centre is scheduled to be complete by late summer of 2022.
Read the full media release here.
July 30, 2021 - Crews reached an important milestone moment for the construction of our new Fire Hall by completing a large concrete pour (300 cubic metres), including the footing for the hose tower.
November 10, 2021 - Crews have reached another major milestone on new Fire Hall with the completion of the towers! This includes:
- Concrete pours for the hose tower, elevator shaft, and two stairwells.
- Majority of structural concrete.
On November 9, 2021, the Project Manager provided an update on the progress and milestones as they relate to the construction of the new Fire Hall. View the presentation here.
On May 10, 2022, the Project Manager provided a progress update on the new Fire Hall construction, including milestones reached and next steps. View the presentation here.
This time-lapse of photos shows the remarkable progress of the new Fire Hall over the last year. Construction crews have recently accomplished some major milestones:
- Wood framing (cross-laminated timber and glulam beams)
- Structural steel and stairs
- Interior concrete slab-on-grade at ground level
Next steps include: roofing, glazing, exterior façade, and interior electrical and mechanical work.
On Tuesday, October 4, 2022, the City provided an update on the construction of the new Pitt Meadows Fire Hall and celebrated the building’s construction milestones, features, and more. Read the media release here.
On Tuesday, June 20, 2023, the City presented a timelapse of the new Fire Hall's construction from demolition in 2020 to completion. Watch the video below.
- Media Release: City Celebrates New Fire Hall Construction Progress (October 5, 2022).
- On May 10, 2022, the Project Manager provided a progress update on the new Fire Hall construction, including milestones reached and next steps. View the presentation here.
- On November 9, 2021, the Project Manager provided an update on the progress and milestones as they relate to the construction of the new Fire Hall. View the presentation here.
- Media Release: Mayor and Fire Chief Break Ground on New Fire Hall (April 26, 2021)
- On December 1, 2020 Council approved the recommendation to award to Jacob Bros. Construction Inc. the construction contract for the new fire hall.
- Media Release: Video to Celebrate Old Fire Hall as Demo Nearing Completion (August 31, 2020)
- A Development Variance Permit application for the new Fire Hall was submitted to Council on July 7, 2020.
- An update, including design, cost estimates and timeline of construction for the new Fire Hall was presented at Council meeting on March 10, 2020.
- Media Release: Temporary Fire Hall Location Chosen (February 24, 2020).
- Media Release: Council Endorses Fire Hall Conceptual Design (August 8, 2019).
- On July 30, 2019, conceptual designs for the new fire hall were presented to Council. Next steps will include a detailed design and a public information session in the fall. The report is available here.
- On April 30, 2019 Council approved the recommendation to award to Johnston Davidson Architects & Planning for the design, tender, contract administration, and close-out for the new fire hall.
- Media Release: Pitt Meadows Council Selects Location for New Fire Hall (March 7, 2019)
- On March 5, 2019 Council approved a re-build of the new fire hall on the current site.
- The decision to replace the aging fire hall was made November 28, 2017 following a report by Johnston Davidson Architecture & Planning that showed the high need for a new facility.