Secondary Suites in Pitt Meadows
Secondary suites are permitted in Pitt Meadows, as regulated in the Zoning Bylaw No. 2505. Council's primary goal in allowing secondary suites is to ensure that suites are safe and liveable. All secondary suites are required to be registered with the City.
Properties zoned RR, RS or R-1 with a single family house may be eligible to have either a secondary suite or a garden suite, but not both.
New Secondary Suites (in new or existing houses) must comply with the BC Building Code and receive an Occupancy Permit in order to be considered legal. Secondary Suites that existed before the adoption of the Zoning Bylaw No. 2505 (October 4, 2011) may comply with the Minimum Building Requirements as set out in Section 17 of the Building Bylaw No. 2131 and receive a “Certificate of Inspection” in order to be considered legal.
To have a secondary suite decomissioned, please contact Development Services.
Garden Suites in Pitt Meadows
A garden suite (also known as carriage house, coach house, granny flat and laneway house) is a smaller accessory dwelling unit within a detached accessory building on the same lot as the single family dwelling. A garden suite may be one storey or above a detached garage (two storey). A suite should contain a bathroom, a kitchen with cooking facilities and at least one bedroom.
Requirements for a Garden Suite
- Only one suite per lot;
- The suite must not occupy no more than 10 percent of the lot area;
- One additional off-street parking space is required for the garden suite tenant;
- The suite must be connected to municipal water, sewer and drainage utilities;
- All home-based businesses, except child care programs, may be carried out within a garden suite;
- A garden suite may be permitted on lots larger than two acres with the ALC's approval for non-farm use;
- Garden suites are not permitted in conjunction with a bed & breakfast, a boarding or a secondary suite use;
- Property owner must reside in either the main house or the suite or retain a local property management company; and
- The suite must be located in the rear yard with the prescribed setbacks.