A garden suite (also known as carriage house, coach house, granny flat and laneway house) is a smaller accessory dwelling unit within a detached accessory building on the same lot as the single family dwelling. A garden suite may be one storey or above a detached garage (two storey). A suite should contain a bathroom, a kitchen with cooking facilities and at least one bedroom.
All Garden Suites require the completion of a Development Permit Application Form.
Requirements for a Garden Suite
- Only one suite per lot;
- The suite must not occupy no more than 10 percent of the lot area;
- One additional off-stret parking space is required for the garden suite tenant;
- The suite must be connected to municipal water, sewer and drainage utilities;
- All home-based businesses, except child care programs, may be carried out within a garden suite;
- A garden suite may be permitted on lots larger than two acres with the ALC's approval for non-farm use;
- Garden suites are not permitted in conjunction with a bed & breakfast, a boarding or a secondary suite use;
- Property owner must reside in either the main house or the suite or retain a local property management company; and
- The suite must be located in the rear yard with the prescribed setbacks.