Development Fees and Development Cost Charges are an important aspect of development within the City. They help to offset costs of processing applications, aquiring new parks, and improving infrastructure.


For the most recent details about how to pay the City a development cost charge, see the Park Land Development Cost Charge Bylaw No. 2685, 2015 or the Development Cost Charges Bylaw No. 2382.

Land Use Costs

Land use costs may include the following:

For full land use costs, see the Development Cost Charges Summary.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a DCC? 

Development Cost Charges (DCC) are monies collected from land developers by a municipality to offset some of the infrastructure expenditures incurred in servicing new developments and maintaining existing infrastructure.

The monies collected are used to finance capital projects related to new roads, drainage, sewers, water mains and acquiring parks.  Development Cost Charges are imposed by Bylaw pursuant to the Local Government Act.  Anytime a proposed development increases density, a DCC is estimated and charged.  This includes creating new square footage on a commercial or industrial project, adding new swellings, or creating new subdivided lots. 

What are development cost charges? 

It is widely accepted that growth, when facilitated by good planning, benefits communities and their economies. Local governments have come to recognize, however, that the accommodation of growth is not a cost-free exercise. Growth creates demands for the construction of new infrastructure, and the expansion of existing local services. The cost of meeting these demands is often substantial and, at times, beyond the ability of local governments to fund using existing financial resources.

Development cost charges (DCCs) are fees that municipalities collect from new development to help pay the cost of infrastructure services that are needed for growth.

Local governments are limited in the types of services they may fund using DCC revenues. Specifically, DCCs may be used to help offset costs associated with the provision, construction, alteration or expansion of:

  • roads, other than off-street parking;
  • sewer trunks, treatment plants and related infrastructure;
  • waterworks; and,
  • drainage works.

DCCs may also be collected to assist in the acquisition and development of parkland, but may not be used to pay for other types of services, such as recreation, policing, fire and library, that are affected by growth.

Was this page helpful?