The City of Pitt Meadows has adopted zoning amendment bylaws related to cannabis cultivation, production, sales and consumption.

The City of Pitt Meadows bylaws:

  • permit the cultivation of cannabis within the Agricultural Land Reserve in accordance with the provincial and federal regulations;
  • in all other zones the cultivation, processing, drying, storing, packaging, distribution or testing of cannabis requires special permission; and
  • prohibit all retail sales of cannabis in Pitt Meadows.

The City has also updated its Business Licensing and Regulation Bylaw to include a category for production, testing, processing, packaging, distribution, or storage of cannabis.

Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions below:

How do I report cannabis odors?
How can I report concerns about odour from cannabis production facilities?

Because production of cannabis is only permitted on land within the Agricultural Land Reserve in Pitt Meadows, producers are guided by the Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act.

Who do I contact to complain about cannabis consumption?

Similar to smoking tobacco, the City does not take action on complaints about cannabis consumption and odour, as this is a civil issue. If you have concerns, please phone the RCMP’s non-emergency line at 604-465-2402. 

How can I report cannabis concerns to Health Canada?

If you have a concern about cannabis, as it relates to Health Canada’s area of responsibility, you can contact Health Canada’s Cannabis Legalization and Regulation Branch (CLRB).  Learn more.

Which regulations apply to cannabis production in Pitt Meadows?

Cannabis production is only permitted in Pitt Meadows in the Agricultural Land Reserve, and cannabis production facilities must follow the:

The Province’s Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act applies to cannabis production in the Agricultural Land Reserve, and it protects “normal farm practices” by allowing for odour, noise and dust or other disturbance related to normal farm operations.

The Farm Practices Protection Act, also states that farm operations can’t be conducted in contravention of the Public Health ActIntegrated Pest Management ActEnvironmental Management Act, the regulations under those Acts or any land use regulation.

How does the Federal Government regulate cannabis?

The Government of Canada’s Cannabis Act provides the legal framework for the production, distribution, sale and possession of cannabis across Canada.

Learn more about cannabis in Canada.

Medical cannabis is within the responsibility of Health Canada. Learn more about the medical use of cannabis.

How does the Provincial Government regulate cannabis?

You must be 19 years or older to buy, use, possess or grow non-medical cannabis in B.C.

Provincial legislation related to non-medical cannabis in B.C. includes:

The provincial Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) is responsible for licensing non-medical cannabis in private stores and monitoring the non-medical cannabis retail sector.

Find where to buy legal cannabis in B.C. (note that there are no legal retail locations in Pitt Meadows).

The BC Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is the sole, wholesale distributor of non-medical cannabis for the province and operates standalone, public retail stores and provides online sales at BC Cannabis Stores.

I want to open a cannabis retail location. Who should I contact?

Retail sales of cannabis are not currently permitted in Pitt Meadows.

Can I get a licence to sell cannabis in Pitt Meadows?

No, the City of Pitt Meadows zoning bylaw prohibits retail sales of cannabis in Pitt Meadows.

Where can I purchase recreational cannabis in Pitt Meadows?

There are no approved retail locations for recreational cannabis in the City of Pitt Meadows.

Adults 19+ can purchase legal recreational cannabis online from the Province of B.C.’s BC Cannabis Stores or from a licensed retailer outside of Pitt Meadows.

Where can commercial cannabis be grown in Pitt Meadows?

Commercial cannabis cultivation is only permitted in Pitt Meadows within the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) in accordance with the Agricultural Land Commission's policies and regulations.

The City of Pitt Meadows zoning bylaw provides specifications for cannabis cultivation in the ALR.

What are the rules for growing non-medicinal cannabis at home?

Under the provincial Cannabis Control and Licensing Act, adults 19 years and older can grow up to four non-medical cannabis plants in their residence.

  • Non-medical cannabis plants cannot be grown where they visible from a public place (e.g. parks, streets, sidewalks, sports fields, and K-12 school properties.
  • Cannabis plants (including medicinal cannabis) cannot be grown in a home licensed for child care.
  • Landlords and strata councils may further restrict or prohibit growing non-medical cannabis. Learn about updates to the Residential Tenancy Act and Manufactured Home Tenancy Act.

Consult your insurance provider if you wish to grow cannabis inside your home to ensure there is no impact on your coverage.

Download a Province of B.C. fact sheet for more information.

What are the rules for growing cannabis for medical purposes?

Find information from Health Canada about cannabis for medical purposes.

Where is smoking or vaping of cannabis permitted?

According to provincial legislation, adults can smoke or vape cannabis in a public place, where smoking or vaping tobacco is allowed. There are some additional restrictions on smoking and vaping cannabis.

Public places where cannabis smoking and vaping are not allowed include:

  • health board property, except in designated smoking areas;
  • public buildings, workplaces, or common areas of apartments, condos, or dormitories;
  • within 6 metres of air intakes, windows, and doorways that are attached to places listed above;
  • at a bus stop, transit shelter, train station or stop, taxi stand, ferry dock or stop, or similar place marked for passenger loading or unloading;
  • within 6 metres of a bus stop;
  • at the following outdoor places: playgrounds, sports fields, skate parks, swimming pools and spray pools, and on any decks or seating areas associated with those places;
  • in regional and municipal parks, except for designated campsites;
  • in provincial parks, except for areas identified or designated by a sign or a park officer; and
  • on public patios (for example, a restaurant patio).

Community care facilities, assisted living residences, and hospitals may designate specific rooms in which residents or patients can smoke or vape cannabis.

If a hotel allows it, registered hotel guests can smoke or vape cannabis in their hotel room.

Changes to the  Residential Tenancy Act and Manufactured Home Tenancy Act with respect to growing and smoking non-medical cannabis came into effect when recreational cannabis was legalized. Smoking non-medical cannabis may be restricted by landlords and strata councils. If you choose to smoke cannabis, it is important to review your tenancy agreement and strata bylaws, as well as federal and provincial regulations to ensure you are in compliance.

Download a Province of B.C. fact sheet for more information.

Safety and use
Cannabis safety information

If you plan to use or grow cannabis, or are a parent, learn about cannabis safety and applicable federal and provincial laws:

For more information about cannabis for medical purposes.

Who is enforcing the cannabis regulations?

In most circumstances, the RCMP will be enforcing cannabis regulations and laws.

Contact the RCMP’s non-emergency line at 604-465-2402, if you have a question or a concern.

Who do I contact if I suspect my neighbour is growing more than four plants?

Contact the RCMP at 604-465-2402, if you have concerns.

Who do I contact if I notice illegal sales or cultivation?

Please contact the RCMP at 604-465-2402.

Who do I contact if I notice a bylaw infraction in Pitt Meadows?

Learn how to provide a bylaw complaint or contact Bylaw Services at 604-465-2428 or


For questions about cannabis in Pitt Meadows contact the Planning Department at 604-465-2428.

Additional resources

Was this page helpful?

Yesthumb_up Nothumb_down