The Municipality takes its name from the Pitt River and Pitt Lake, which were possibly named after former British Prime Minister William Pitt.
The first inhabitants of Pitt Meadows were the Katzie First Nation, whose history in this area go back 12,000 years. James McMillan explored the area in 1874, and Europeans followed by starting a settlement in the area in the 1870's. This settlement was originally known as Bonson's Landing.
The municipality of Maple Ridge was first incorporated in 1874 and included Pitt Meadows to the west. However, residents of the Pitt Meadows area petitioned for their removal from the District of Maple Ridge in 1892. Pitt Meadows reverted to unorganized territory for a period and was separately incorporated in 1914.
Early settlers were mostly Anglo-Saxon until after 1910 when many French Canadians and Japanese arrived. A large group of Dutch farmers reclaimed much of the low-lying land in Pitt Meadows after World War II.
- 1885: Canadian Pacific Railway is constructed through Pitt Meadows to Port Moody
- 1893: The first diking district is organized
- 1894: In the spring of 1894, the major Fraser River Flood event occurs and floods many acres of land
- 1914: Pitt Meadows is incorporated as a District Municipality
- 1948: Pitt Meadows joins the Greater Vancouver Water District
- 1957: A highway bridge is constructed over the Pitt River
- 1963: The Pitt Meadows Airport opens
- 2007: District of Pitt Meadows is incorporated as the City of Pitt Meadows
- 2009: Golden Ears Bridge connecting Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge to Surrey and Langley opens
2014: Pitt Meadows celebrates 100 years since incorporation in community centennial celebrations
Listen to some stories about Pitt Meadows' past told by longtime residents in this video: