Ladislaus Hoffmann came to Pitt Meadows from Austria (via Aldergrove) in 1933. The existing garage was built in 1936, and the Hoffmanns operated a machine shop and later a drainage business from this building. Their son, Hans Hoffmann, was the first Fire Chief, built Pitt Meadows' first fire truck and allowed his building to be used as the town's first fire hall. Typical of family-operated businesses, the Hoffmann's house is located on the property next to the shop. At the back of the site is a Quonset Hut, placed on the property in 1956 for the storage of large machinery related to the Hoffmann's drainage and ditching business.
In 1999, Hans Hoffmann and his sister Elfriede, donated the property, building, equipment and a vintage engine collection to the Pitt Meadows Museum Society, and in 2002, the family home was donated to the municipality to be used as a caretakers residence. Behind the workshop, land donated by the family is now called Hoffmann Park, preserving a stand of old trees, which has become a community landmark.