On June 22, 2021, Council approved a new pilot program to allow food trucks to operate this summer from July 1 to September 30 at two City park locations:
- Harris Road Park
- Pitt Meadows Athletic Park
This program sought to enhance the recreational experience for visitors to our parks, by providing more outdoor dining options and giving vendors the opportunity to grow their small businesses right here in our community.
The pilot program is now closed. Thank you to all of our participating vendors and to the community for your support and feedback. Staff will be reporting back to Council later this fall with a summary of the program and recommenations. Stay tuned!
About the Program
The Food Truck Pilot Program (FTPP) ran from July 1 to September 30, 2021. Up to two truck were permitted at each park location per day on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and statutory holidays. Food truck vendors differed each week to provide a variety of dining options throughout the summer.
Locations and Hours
- Food truck locations are pre-determined and participating vendors will book a parking location at one of the park on a weekly basis (see maps below). Four parking spots are available for booking (two per location).
- Vendors must obtain a Special Events Permit from the City, which assigns food trucks to one of the locations on a particular date.
- To submit a vending request, please email the program coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hours of Operation: dawn to dusk. Vendors may choose the hours they wish to operate at their designated location.
The pilot will run for 13 weeks from July 1 until September 30, 2021.
- No fee will be charged to participate in the FTPP.
- Vendors are responsible for any costs related to business licence, insurance and health authority requirements.
- The business licence fee for food truck vendors is $105.00. The business licence is valid for the duration of the pilot program.
Garbage, Compost and Recycling
As part of the business licence, food truck vendors will be required to:
- Provide a minimum of one garbage or organics bin and one recycling bin to ensure the cleanliness of the surrounding area;
- Clean up within a 10 metre radius after service at a location ; and
- Removed all collected garbage, recycling, and organic waste from the location.
The City of Pitt Meadows will not supply vendors with power and water, mobile food vending trucks must be equipped with their own.
Food truck vendors will be permitted to advertise their business using one sandwich board sign. The sign is to be placed on City property in a location that does not obstruct pedestrian and/or vehicle traffic.
Bylaw enforcement officers will conduct regular check-ins to ensure vendors are displaying valid Special Events Permits and that they’re adhering to the clean-up requirements outlined on their business licence.
How to Apply
Step 1: Submit a Business Licence Application to the City
Visit the Business Licence page for more information and to obtain an application form: pittmeadows.ca/businesslicences.
Business Licence Requirements and Conditions
The following will be required as part of the initial business licence application process:
- Fire Department Inspection
a. A Greater Vancouver Fire Chiefs Association (GVFCA) decal*, valid for the current year, will be accepted by the Pitt Meadows Fire Department.
- Fraser Health Authority Approval
- Motor Vehicle Insurance
- Photographs of vehicle
- Liability Insurance
a. Minimum $2M Commercial General Liability Insurance with inclusive limits for bodily injury and property damage including Products Completed Operations and property damage including Products Completed Operations and Cross-liability Clause;
b. City of Pitt Meadows named as Additional Insured; and
c. 30 days prior written notice of cancellation or material change.
- COVID-19 Safety Plan
- Record of Installation Permit decal issued by Technical Safety BC if food truck utilizes gas appliances
* If you do not have a valid GVFCA decal, please contact the Pitt Meadows Fire Department to book an inspection.
Step 2: Obtain a Special Events Permit to operate on the designated vending date
The City is calling food truck vendors to submit requests for their desired vending dates for the Pitt Meadows Food Truck Pilot Program (FTPP). Vendors can choose to book any number of days at a time within the duration of the FTPP. If the City receives multiple requests from different vendors for the same location and date, a lottery system will be employed to determine the chosen vendor.
To submit a vending request, please email the program coordinator: email@example.com
If you have any questions or comments about the program, please contact the FTPP coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
To book a Fire Department Inspection, please contact the Pitt Meadows Fire Department: call 604-465-2401 or email email@example.com