The City of Pitt Meadows Council has adopted new zoning bylaws regarding the legalization of cannabis. 

The City of Pitt Meadows bylaws:

  • prohibit all retail sales of cannabis in Pitt Meadows;
  • permit the cultivation of cannabis within the Agricultural Land Reserve in accordance with the Agricultural Land Commission's policies and regulations; and
  • prohibit the cultivation, processing, drying, storing, packaging, distribution or testing of cannabis in all other zones.

Changes to the Business Licensing and Regulation Bylaw No. 2643, 2014 include a category for cultivation of cannabis.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the City of Pitt Meadows doing to regulate cannabis?
City staff are preparing amendments to zoning bylaws which would:

  • Prohibit all retail sales of cannabis;
  • Limit or restrict production of cannabis within the Agricultural Land Reserve; and
  • Prohibit the cultivation, processing, drying, storing, packaging, distribution or testing of non-medical cannabis in all zones within the City of Pitt Meadows.

Where can I purchase recreational cannabis in Pitt Meadows?
Currently there are no approved retail locations for recreational cannabis in the City of Pitt Meadows.

Will residents be allowed to smoke cannabis in public places?
No, the BC Tobacco and Vapour Control Act prohibits the smoking and vaping of tobacco in public places including regional  parks, playgrounds and public facilities. Once the Cannabis Act is established, the Province will update the regulations to prohibit cannabis smoking and vaping as well.

Who do I contact regarding a complaint about cannabis odour?
Similar to the smoking of tobacco, the City does not take action on complaints regarding cannabis consumption and odour. This is a civil issue. If you have concerns call the RCMP’s non-emergency line at 604-4652402.  If you have concerns about air quality, contact Metro Vancouver at 604-436-6777. 

Where will cannabis be allowed to be grown in Pitt Meadows commercially once legal?
The cultivation of cannabis is permitted in the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) in accordance with all other applicable provincial, federal, and municipal regulations. 

Who is enforcing the new Cannabis regulations?
In most circumstances, the RCMP will be enforcing cannabis regulations and laws.  Contact the RCMP’s non-emergency line at 604-465-2402 if you have a question or a concern.

How will retail sales be handled for cannabis once legalized?
Retail sales will be sold through a combination of public and private retail models handled through the BC Liquor Control and Licensing Branch.

Who do I contact if I suspect my neighbour is growing more than four plants?
Home cultivation limits will be set by the Province and enforced by the RCMP.  Contact the RCMP at 604-465-2402 if you have concerns.

I want to open a cannabis retail location, whom should I contact?
Retail sales of cannabis are not currently permitted in Pitt Meadows.

How is the Federal Government involved in the legalization of Cannabis?
in the 2015 Speech from the Throne, the Government of Canada committed to introducing legislation to legalize, strictly regulate, and restrict access to cannabis. On June 21, 2018, the Federal Cannabis Act (Bill C-45) received royal assent, meaning it received approval from both the House and Senate to become law; which will make the consumption and sale of non-medical cannabis legal in Canada on October 17, 2018.

Visit to find out more regarding the Government of Canada’s legalization process.

How is the Provincial Government involved?
Although the Federal Cannabis Act will allow for legal use of cannabis, provinces and territories will be allowed to enact restrictions and regulations regarding sale, distribution, and use of cannabis. In February, 2018, the BC Provincial Government announced decisions on how public consumption, retail sales, and personal cultivation will occur in the Province of BC.

Visit for detailed information on the Province of BC’s framework.

If I have questions about cannabis in the City of Pitt Meadows, who should I contact?
Please contact the City of Pitt Meadows, Planning Department 604-465-2428.

Was this page helpful?

Yesthumb_up Nothumb_down