PITT MEADOWS, BC – Throughout the month of December, the City will celebrate the holiday season with a variety of fun activities and events for the entire family to enjoy throughout the community and online.
“As 2020 draws to a close, we extend a warm invitation to the community to join us as the City proudly sparkles with holiday cheer,” says Mayor Bill Dingwall. “Staff have organized some creative and fun activities to make this holiday season the brightest one yet. Bundle up and get outside to explore the holiday lights tour and display in Spirit Square; be sure to stop by the Art Gallery for some unique local gifts; enjoy a virtual visit with Santa; show off your ugliest Christmas sweater; and try some fun festive crafts online!”
December’s activity schedule includes:
- Holiday Lights Tour and Contest – Enjoy homes lit up with Christmas lights throughout the neighbourhoods of Pitt Meadows from November 30 to January 3. Vote for your favourite! Map and voting information will be available online starting November 30.
- Holiday Art & Artisan Pop-Up Shop – Shop local this Christmas at the Pitt Meadows Art Gallery (PMAG) with unique handmade local treasures from over 40 local artists and artisans. The exhibit opens in person on November 14, 2020 and runs until January 17, 2021. It can also be viewed online at pittmeadows.ca/virtualgallery.
- Christmas Display at Spirit Square – Visit the Civic Centre for festive decorations, lights, and the Spirit Square Christmas Tree. This free, family-oriented activity allows for physical distancing, and will run throughout December.
- Virtual Visits and Letters from Santa – Register your child for a five minute ZOOM call or to receive a letter from Santa. Available to Pitt Meadows residents only—registration is required. Fee is by donation to the Friends In Need Food Bank.
- Weekly Online Holiday Crafts – There will be a new holiday craft posted on the website each week for children of all ages.
- Ugly Christmas Sweater Slideshow – send in a photo of your favourite ugly Christmas sweater to email@example.com. Submissions will be included in a virtual community slideshow that will be shared via social media on Christmas Eve.
“While our popular annual Christmas in Pitt Meadows event has been cancelled due to COVID, we have an exciting line up of family-friendly and safe events for our residents to enjoy throughout December,” says Chief Administrative Officer, Mark Roberts. “In addition, Pitt Meadows is proud to support the Friends In Need Food Bank through donations made to the ZOOM calls and letters from Santa initiative. During this season, the bulk of donations typically comes from the CP Holiday Train, which has unfortunately been cancelled this year. As a result, the City has found creative ways to support this vital community partner.”
Pitt Meadows Family Recreation Centre will be accepting donations to our local Friends In Need Food Bank from November 30 to December 17. Canned foods, infant formula/baby foods, diapers, personal hygiene products, and bathroom tissue are a few of the categories requested from donations. For details on the Food Bank visit friendsneedfood.com.
Visit pittmeadows.ca/christmas for more information.
For more information please contact:
Manager of Communications & Community Engagement
City of Pitt Meadows