PITT MEADOWS, BC – Phase two of the public engagement for the Pitt Meadows Road and Rail Improvements Project begins with the Kennedy Road Overpass. It will be the first of a two-part engagement to share draft designs of the project with the community.
“It’s exciting to see this important project moving forward to enhance safety, reduce congestion and improve access for our community,” says Mayor Bill Dingwall. “Keeping our community engaged and informed throughout the project is an important priority for Council and we continue to work closely with our partners at the port authority and CP to address any concerns.”
From July 7 to July 28, 2020, as part of the interim engagement this summer, the community is invited to review and provide feedback on the draft design for the Kennedy Road overpass. Participants will also be asked what remote engagement opportunities they would like to see for the second part of engagement that respects distancing measures as a result of COVID-19 while ensuring the community can participate meaningfully.
“Residents are invited to virtually attend the Engagement and Priorities Committee meeting on July 28 at 7 p.m.” says Chief Administrative Officer Mark Roberts. “This is an opportunity to engage with Council and project staff who will present and answer questions live from the community.”
The decision to split this phase into two parts—an interim engagement this summer and a more fulsome engagement later this fall was made to ensure the community could receive a meaningful update now, and have the best possible opportunity to engage more in-depth again this fall.
In the fall, engagement and information on the draft designs for the Harris Road underpass, heritage buildings, noise mitigation options, and new rail track location will occur.
Summary of Phase Two Engagement:
Kennedy Road engagement
Harris Road engagement
In support of the government’s guidance to practice distancing to reduce the spread of COVID-19, the interim engagement will be entirely remote. In lieu of in-person engagement options, there will be opportunities to talk to project staff over the phone and participants can request a discussion guide and questionnaire be delivered by mail. Postcards with information have been mailed to all Pitt Meadows households.
Learn more about the project and share your feedback from July 7-28, 2020, by:
- Watching the Pitt Meadows City Council meeting online on July 7, 2020 at 7 p.m. at pittmeadows.com/councilmeetings.
- Virtually attending the Pitt Meadows Engagement and Priorities Committee on July 28 at 7:00 p.m. at pittmeadows.com/councilmeetings. Staff will present and answer questions from the community. You can also submit your questions in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completing the online questionnaire at portvancouver.com/pittmeadowsengagement.
- Requesting a hard copy of the discussion guide and questionnaire by emailing email@example.com or phoning 778.957.9444.
- Asking questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mailing in a written submission to:
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority Attention: Project communications
100 The Pointe, 999 Canada Place, Vancouver, BC, V6C 3T4
- Dropping off a written submission to:
Pitt Meadows City Hall 12007 Harris Road
After hours drop box at the main entrance doors.
Attention: Pitt Meadows Road and Rail Project
About the project
The goal of the project is to mitigate impacts of growing rail and port trade traffic on Pitt Meadows and to improve safety and access in the community with more reliable travel times and better emergency response.
The project includes:
- A new four-lane underpass beneath the rail crossing at Harris Road;
- A new two-lane overpass above the rail crossing at Kennedy Road which will serve CP’s Vancouver Intermodal Facility; and
- An extension of one of CP’s existing rail tracks, which serves the intermodal facility.
For more information please contact:
Manager of Communications & Community Engagement
City of Pitt Meadows