Pitt Meadows Heritage Hall

12460 Harris Road
Location Category
Heritage Location
Municipal Registered

The Pitt Meadows Municipal Hall is a landmark on Harris Road, and reflects the growth and development of the community, which by the 1930s required a large building for municipal and community affairs. This was the second municipal hall, replacing the one-storey structure built in 1914. On the night of December 17, 1930, a fire started in the kitchen, and the first Hall burned to the ground, except for the vault that was left standing. This much larger structure was started soon after, and demonstrated confidence in the future of Pitt Meadows even though it was the time of the Great Depression. At the front is a central entrance with sidelights, and a projecting cornice with large dentil blocks; the corner pilasters have rounded caps, cornices and dentil blocks. It housed the municipal offices on the ground floor and a large community hall on the second floor, with a raised stage and maple floors, which has a separate entrance from the rear.

The Women’s Institute was in charge of the hall until 1948, when a Hall Committee was established. Prior to the arrival of water mains in Pitt Meadows in 1948, a community water pump was located on the front lawn. The municipal offices moved to a new location in the early 1970s, and this building was upgraded for new uses in 1977. Today the Ridge Meadows Parks and Leisure Services Department oversees the hall, and it continues to serve an active community role.