Financial Services provides inter-departmental support and public interfaces that promote theeffective, efficient and transparent operation of the City. The department provides financial services to Council, departments and citizens. This involves the safeguarding and administration of the City’ costs which includes operating expenses, debt servicing and reserve savings
- Budget and business planning.
- Banking, investing and debt management.
- Levying and collecting municipal taxes & utility fees.
- Financial policy development and implementation.
- Long-term financial planning.
- Procurement of goods & services.
- The provision of accounting and the processing of accounts payable and receivable.
- Completion of the financial year end.
- External annual reporting of financial activities to the province.
- Standardized service and partner contracts across all areas to ensure expectations and quality are consistent across all services.
- Incorporated condition assessment data to the Asset Management database for City buildings and roads and updated targeted reserve savings values.
As Director of Finance, Cheryl is responsible for providing support for day-to-day operations of the City through the provisioning of accounting, banking and investments, budget & business planning, debt management, long-term financial planning, and tax collection services.
“One of my goals as the Director of Finance is to increase awareness and access to the City of Pitt Meadow’s financials and expenditures,” Cheryl says.
Naturally drawn to the finance field, Cheryl earned her degree as a CGA from the Certified General Accountants Association of BC in 1995. She first stepped into the private sector but made the leap to local government in 2002, working for City of Port Moody in the roles of Financial Accountant, Accounting Manager, and lastly, Manager of Revenue & Taxation.
Cheryl began her work at the City of Pitt Meadows as Manager of Financial Planning & Accounting and has been in the role of Director of Finance since December 2015.
Born in Regina, Saskatchewan, Cheryl moved to BC at a very young age and has called Maple Ridge home for the greater portion of her life. She is married to her husband of 33 years, has a teenage daughter, and 2 cats to round out the family.