The Intermunicipal Business License (also referred to as a Mobile Business License) allows mobile businesses to operate in more than one municipality by purchasing an add-on to the required base business license, rather than obtaining non-resident licenses in each municipality in which they operate.

 The Intermunicipal Business License is strongly supported by small business organizations and by the Small Business Roundtable.

The Fraser Valley Program

In January 2013, nine municipalities in the Fraser Valley region agreed to participate in an Intermunicipal Business License Project. The project allowed eligible mobile businesses have the option to upgrade to the Intermunicipal Business License, allowing them to operate in all nine participating municipalities.

Your IML is valid in each of the following participating municipalities: 

City of Abbotsford
City of Langley
District of Mission
City of Chilliwack
Township of Langley
City of Pitt Meadows
District of Hope
City of Maple Ridge
City of Surrey





Business License Application

 For more information on the Intermunicipal Business License program, please contact City Hall's Business Licensing Department at 604.465.2428.


Who is eligible for an IML?

Eligibility is limited to mobile businesses, defined as trades contractors or other professionals (related to the construction industry) that provide a service or product other than from their fixed and permanent location.

Only mobile businesses which have fixed and permanent location in one of the nine participating municipalities are eligible for the IML.

Where can I apply?

Applications will be submitted to the municipal business licensing office of your home municipality (where your business is presently located and licenced).

What is the cost of an IML?

An eligible mobile business (including a home-based operation) pays the business license fee set by their home municipality plus the annual IML fee of $250.

How long is an IML valid?

An IML is valid for the same length of term as your municipal business license.

Will I need any other licenses?

Mobile businesses will still need to obtain a municipal business license from their home municipality, and a license for each fixed and permanent location they have.  The IML is only valid within the nine participating municipalities; therefore mobile businesses will still need to check with the business licensing offices of any other municipality in which they intend to operate.

Was this page helpful?

Yesthumb_up Nothumb_down