Open wood burning is not permitted in urban areas in Pitt Meadows, according to Burning Regulation Bylaw No.2688. This includes outdoor fireplaces and cooking pits. Propane and natural gas fires and barbeques are permitted.

Agricultural Burning Permits

NEW! Open burning now requires both a City burning permit and open burning approval through Metro Vancouver. Burning of vegetative matter is only allowed on agriculturally zoned properties according to the City of Pitt Meadows Burning Regulation Bylaw No. 2688 in the spring and fall during the following dates:

  • March 1 to May 31
  • September 1 to November 30

Apply for a burning permit

Apply Online Now

Apply for a permit online or in person at City Hall reception Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Each permit costs $50.00 and is valid for five consecutive days.

There is no guarantee that you will be able to burn for all five days. This depends on the Metro Vancouver ventilation index each day. If you burn when not permitted by Metro Vancouver, you will be fined.

You are responsible for obtaining an open burning authorization through Metro Vancouver before burning as well as phoning Metro Vancouver at 604.436.6777 each morning before starting burning to check the ventilation index and confirm if burning is allowed for the day. If you are able to burn during any of the five days for which you have a permit, your permit will be considered used and will not be re-issued. You can receive a re-issue during the same burn season, if no burning was allowed during the five days for which your permit was issued.

Download a burn permit information sheet.

Dispose of Yard Waste Safely

If you live in an area of Pitt Meadows that is not agriculturally zoned, you are not permitted to burn yard waste.

You can dispose of yard waste in these two ways:

  1. Purchase extra bag tags for $5 at City Hall (12007 Harris Road). Place them on your brown garden/yard waste bags. The City will collect up to two extra bags on your regular garbage/green waste service days.
  2. Drop off garden waste, leaves and branches at a local compost site for a fee.

Larger material and construction waste can be taken to the Maple Ridge Recycling and Residential Transfer Station (10092 - 236 Street Maple Ridge) Phone 604.466.1106. For information about recycling options phone 604-RECYCLE.

Indoor Residential Wood Burning Ban

Indoor Burning is regulated by Metro Vancouver. In order to protect the public from exposure to harmful wood smoke, Metro Vancouver currently prohibits the use of indoor wood burning appliances during the warm season (May 15 to September 15) with a few exceptions.

Read Metro Vancouver’s Residential Indoor Wood Burning Bylaw 1303, 2020.

For more information, please contact Pitt Meadows Fire & Rescue Service by email, or by phone 604.465.2401.

Was this page helpful?