Building Permit Processing Time

Due to significant increases in the number of permit applications and inquiries, permit processing time and inquiry response time is currently extended. Staff are committed to processing your application and/or responding to your inquiry in a timely manner, and we will be in touch soon. We are working to increase our resources to accommodate this volume. Thank you for your patience during this time.

Building permits protect your investment.

Whatever you are building, a considerable amount of time, effort and money is involved. A building permit (and the related inspections) protect your investment by ensuring the proposed development complies with City requirements and the BC Building Code. Building Codes have been developed to guarantee minimum construction standards. Apart from ensuring structural integrity, the Building Code also establishes minimum levels of safety for occupants, and servicability for materials and products. These standards apply to areas such as ventilation, insulation, drainage, exit requirements, flame spread rate of materials and manufacturing standards for devices such as smoke alarms.

The Building Department is responsible for the regulation of building construction and plumbing work.  Services include review of applications; issuance of building permits; and inspection of work to verify compliance with current B.C. Building Code and other applicable regulations.

A Guide to Building Permits                Building Permit Application

Find out more about current developments

When you need a permit?

You will usually need a residential building permit for building or renovation work, such as:

  • building a house,
  • finishing a basement,
  • flood or fire restorations,
  • building an addition, detached garage or accessory building,  
  • interior renovations. 
  • demolilshing a building,
  • installing a new wood stove, 
  • changing the use or occupancy of a building,
  • retaining walls which retain more than 1.5 metres of fill.

Separate plumbing and electrical permits are required for plumbing and electrical work.  Plumbing and electrical work may be applied for only after you have been issued the building permit. 

When you don't need a permit?

You don't need a building permit for projects such as:

  • replacing flooring,
  • minor repairs to the exterior of your home,
  • painting, 
  • changing cabinets (as long as the drywall is not affected),
  • landscaping or sidewalks.

Note: Although the above work does not require permits, homeowners should ensure that the construction conforms to the requirements of the Provincial Building Code and applicable to City of Pitt Meadows bylaws. 

How do I get an electrical or gas permit?

You must contact Technical Safe BC for permits and inspections.  The City of Pitt Meadows does not issue gas or electrical permits.

Who should I contact with questions?

Contact the Development Services at 604.465.2428 or by fax at 604.465.2404 if you have questions about your project and the permit requirements. 

How do I obtain a building permit?

Download the Building Permit Application Form. Complete the applicable checklist.  Submit your hard copy application directly to the City office. 

What you should consider when planning a project?
  1. Check the zoning of the property to ensure your intended use is permitted. 
  2. Check the required setbacks from the property lines and the maximum site coverage permitted. 
  3. Check with the Engineering Department for location and depth of services, i.e., water, storm, and sanitary sewer.
  4. Check for easements or right-of-way on your property .
How long does it take to get a building permit?

Depending on the type and scope of your projcet, it is recommended that you apply for a building permit a minimum of four to eight weeks before the start of the project. You will be telephoned immediately when your permit is ready.

When does the building permit expire?

Every permit is issued upon the condition that the permit shall expire and the rights of the owner under the permit shall terminate if:

  • The work authorized by the permit is not commenced with 6 months from the date of issuance of the permit, or
  • The work is discontinued for a period of 12 months.
What will my building permit cost?

Fees payable for the issuance of permit for the erection, addition, alteration, repair, removal or demolition of any building or structure or part are identified in Schedule 1 of the Building Bylaw No. 2131.

What is required when submitting an application?

Apply in person or by representative with a completed permit application form to:

City of Pitt Meadows
Building Inspector
12007 Harris Road,  
Pitt Meadows, BC  V3Y 2B5
Hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm

    Three fully detailed sets of plans drawn to scale are required to be submitted at the time of application, plans must contain sufficient detail to allow any competent person to construct the building or addition.

    Three complete sets of drawings are to include:

    1. Site Plan

    •  scale 1/16" or 1/20" (1:200 metric)
    •  Legal description
    •  Size of site and adjoining street names 
    • Size and location, including required yard set back from all property lines of buildings, proposed buildings or additions including accessory buildings 

    2.Floor Plans

    •  scale in 1/4" = 1' (1:150 metric)
    • All rooms and use of each room
    • Size of each room
    • Size of windows and doors
    • All plumbing fixtures 
    • All outside dimensions
    • Structural details i.e.: joist size and spacing, size of beams and columns
    • Total area of building

     3. Elevations

    •  scale 1/8" = 1' or 1:100 metric 
    • Full views of front, rear and both sides of the building including additions
    • Exterior finish details i.e.: materials used
    • Sundeck addition requires railing details i.e.: height and type of construction

    4.Cross Section

    • Scale of 1/4" = 1' (1:50 metric)
    •  Showing method of construction
    • Showing structural and other pertinent details

    In addition, we may require:

    • BC Housing  ( registration form for new homes
    • Strata Council permission (when applicable)
    • Drawings are also required (Samples of drawings can be supplied upon request)

    Building Permits will be issued following approval of plans, location, zoning, water and sewer connections, etc., and upon receipt of permit fees.

    When is a building permit considered complete?

    A building permit is complete when all aspects of the plan submitted for the permit has been completed. In the case of a new building, an Occupancy Permit will be issued when all inspections are complete and satisfactory, and once all survey certificates and engineer's reports (if applicable) and your sub-trades list for business license compliance are submitted.

    What if my property is on a septic system and/or well?

    Provincial "Sewerage Regulation" compliance must be obtained and verified by an "authorized person" acceptable by the Municipality. 

    Please note: you may apply for your building permit before you have any of the following, however you will not be able to obtain your permit or start building until the requirements have been met. 

    Do demolitions require a permit?

    Yes, demolishing all or a portion of a building or structure requires  a permit.    Please visit Permit Applications, Requirements & Fees for information on Demolition Permits.

    Was this page helpful?

    Yesthumb_up Nothumb_down