Pitt Meadows is located in the Lower Fraser Valley, east of Vancouver.  It is a primarily agricultural area, situated on the north side of the Fraser River at its junction with the Pitt River.  The City is also bisected by the two arms of the Alouette River, along with a number of other sloughs and waterways.

Pitt Lake, on the City's northern boundary, is the largest tidal lake in North America.  Along the community's northeast edge lies the Thompson Mountain Range.

Pitt Meadows is considered the "gateway" to the Fraser Valley and is forty minutes by West Coast Express passenger train service and one hour by car from Vancouver's downtown area and Stanley Park.

We acknowledge that Pitt Meadows is located on the traditional unceded territory of Katzie First Nation.

Land Size and Use

Pitt Meadows is comprised of 8,825 hectares of land and water.  It is primarily lowlands with some higher elevations in the northern part of the rural and urban areas.  Seventy-eight  percent of the land mass in Pitt Meadows is in the BC Agricultural Land Reserve and thus, farming is a big industry in Pitt Meadows.

Pitt Meadows farms grow a variety of crops and is probably best known for its greenhouses and small fruit; namely, the delicious blueberries and cranberries we produce.

As Pitt Meadows is primarily lowlands and is bordered on two sides by rivers, it has over 40 km of dykes.  These dikes not only protect the community from flooding, but provide a unparalleled multi-use trail system alongside some of Canada's most productive, lush farmland.  The trails wind alongside spectacular marshes and wildlife and offer magnificent views of the mountains to the North.

The Pitt Meadows Regional Airport occupies about 303 hectares and has three runways in service and a control tower operated by Nav Canada personnel.

Urban Areas

Most residents of Pitt Meadows live in an urban town centre area that is surrounded by agricultural land; this is a key demonstration of the City's concentrated land use.  About 85% of residents live in the 404-hectacre core urban area, resulting in a population density of approximately 33 persons per hectare.  The remainder of the residents live in the rural area, which makes up nearly 8,425 hectares.  The rural area therefore has a population density of approximately one person for every four hectares.

19089 Advent Road
Of Importance (not registered)
Of Importance (not registered)
Lions Park site that was the site of the first school house (No. 1 School PM) in 1909
19740 McNeil Road
Heritage Location, Municipal Registered
From 1920 to 1945, this property was owned by Olonzo Patten McElhinney, who likely also built this house in the 1920's. He was born in 1880...
19175 122nd Ave. (not original location)
Heritage Location, Municipal Registered
19963 McNeil Road
Heritage Location, Municipal Registered
The Menzies Residence was constructed around 1910 on the property's high ground. Mixed highland / lowland areas allowed homes, barns and...
17306 Ford Road Detour
Of Importance (not registered)
17305 Ford Road Detour
Heritage Location
This modest but well-detailed house was built as the family home of Walter Mostrenko, a Ukrainian immigrant who also built many homes in...
12294 Harris Road
Heritage Location, Municipal Designated
Of Importance (not registered)
The area of the cenotaph near City Hall that was originally the site of the Edward and Annie Louise Cook House
Of Importance (not registered)
Osprey Village was farmland (Lasser) and then a mill site.

Pages

Was this page helpful?

Yesthumb_up Nothumb_down