Pitt Meadows is located in the Lower Fraser Valley, east of Vancouver.  It is a primarily agricultural area, situated on the north side of the Fraser River at its junction with the Pitt River.  The City is also bisected by the two arms of the Alouette River, along with a number of other sloughs and waterways.

Pitt Lake, on the City's northern boundary, is the largest tidal lake in North America.  Along the community's northeast edge lies the Thompson Mountain Range.

Pitt Meadows is considered the "gateway" to the Fraser Valley and is forty minutes by West Coast Express passenger train service and one hour by car from Vancouver's downtown area and Stanley Park.

We acknowledge that Pitt Meadows is located on the traditional unceded territory of Katzie First Nation.

Land Size and Use

Pitt Meadows is comprised of 8,825 hectares of land and water.  It is primarily lowlands with some higher elevations in the northern part of the rural and urban areas.  Eighty-six percent of the land mass in Pitt Meadows is in the BC Agricultural Land Reserve and thus, farming is a big industry in Pitt Meadows.

Pitt Meadows farms grow a variety of crops and is probably best known for its greenhouses and small fruit; namely, the delicious blueberries and cranberries we produce.

As Pitt Meadows is primarily lowlands and is bordered on two sides by rivers, it has over 40 km of dykes.  These dikes not only protect the community from flooding, but provide a unparalleled multi-use trail system alongside some of Canada's most productive, lush farmland.  The trails wind alongside spectacular marshes and wildlife and offer magnificent views of the mountains to the North.

The Pitt Meadows Regional Airport occupies about 303 hectares and has three runways in service and a control tower operated by Nav Canada personnel.

Urban Areas

Most residents of Pitt Meadows live in an urban town centre area that is surrounded by agricultural land; this is a key demonstration of the City's concentrated land use.  About 85% of residents live in the 404-hectacre core urban area, resulting in a population density of approximately 33 persons per hectare.  The remainder of the residents live in the rural area, which makes up nearly 8425 hectares.  The rural area therefore has a population density of approximately one person for every four hectares.

19981 Richardson Road
Heritage Location, Municipal Registered
After the end of World War II, a hunting lodge was built on this property by Victor J. Creeden, the General Manager of the Hedley Mascot...
Of Importance (not registered)
Harris Road
Of Importance (not registered)
Pitt River Ferry crossing that predated the first bridge in 1915
17858 Ferry Slip Road - No longer in existance. Property remains on registry.
Heritage Location, Of Importance (not registered)
10946 Katzie Road
First Nations Community
12400 Harris Road
Of Importance (not registered)
18389 Ford Road
Heritage Location, Of Importance (not registered)
Built in the 1940s, this was the family home of Harold Sutton, the son of Albert and Anne Sutton, who settled the farm adjacent to this...
Of Importance (not registered)
Now buried under the PM Airport is Herring Road -- before 1908, the building that is now the Museum was located here
12265 Harris Road
Heritage Location, Municipal Designation
Ladislaus Hoffmann came to Pitt Meadows from Austria (via Aldergrove) in 1933. The existing garage was built in 1936, and the Hoffmanns...
Of Importance (not registered)
Hoffmann Park -- once the site of the 7th Day Adventist Colony and their school house

Pages

Was this page helpful?

Yesthumb_up Nothumb_down