On March 5, 2019, following months of careful analysis, Pitt Meadows City Council decided to rebuild the fire hall on the existing site. A variety of factors were considered in selecting this site including: emergency response times, access, neighbourhood impacts, building costs and site size.
The new building will replace the existing fire hall which opened in 1983 and no longer meets the needs of PMFRS. The new facility would be larger and address a number of safety and operational hazards for first responders.
The City has set aside funds in reserves for the facility replacement. The final budget will be determined following a preliminary design, cost estimate and project scope review. The new building will be designed to meet current B.C. Building Codes and be seismically sound. It will also incorporate the City’s new Emergency Operations Centre.
Video to Celebrate Old Fire Hall as Demo Nearing Completion
The community is invited to join Mayor and Council on a virtual final tour of the old hall to reflect on its many years of service to this community, and to watch the building walls come down as we embark on the next chapter for our Fire Department.
Earlier this summer, demolition began on the old 1983 Fire Hall and is scheduled to be completed in the coming weeks. Measures are in place to help mitigate dust, debris, noise and disruption to traffic. Crews are working between the hours of 7am and 5pmm
Read the full media release here.
Construction of new tower and decommissioning of existing tower
In order to accommodate construction of the new Fire Hall, the existing communications tower will be relocated slightly to the west.
Current (old) Fire Hall - built in 1983 Rendering of the new Fire Hall
Video: Artist Rendering of new Fire Hall
This video shows the exterior of the new Pitt Meadows Fire Hall based on current designs from Johnston Davidson Architecture. As the design is finalized, there may be some adjustments made such as window locations and siding colour.
Temporary Fire Hall at Pitt Meadows Regional Airport
Pitt Meadows Fire & Rescue Services is fully operational in their temporary location at Pitt Meadows Regional Airport for the duration of the construction of the new Fire Hall. Removal of the old building is expected to begin this summer with construction beginning in fall 2020. As the project moves forward, information will continue to be shared with the community on our website and social media channels.
Updates and Timeline
- Media Release: Video to Celebrate Old Fire Hall as Demo Nearing Completion (August 31, 2020)
- A Development Variance Permit application for the new Fire Hall was submitted to Council on July 8, 2020.
- Design, cost estimates and timeline of construction for the new fire hall was presented at Council meeting on March 10.
- Media Release: Temporary Fire Hall Location Chosen (February 24, 2020).
- Media Release: Council Endorses Fire Hall Conceptual Design (August 8, 2019).
- On July 30, 2019, conceptual designs for the new fire hall were presented to Council. Next steps will include a detailed design and a public information session in the fall. The report is available here.
- On April 30, 2019 Council approved the recommendation to award to Johnston Davidson Architects & Planning for the design, tender, contract administration, and close-out for the new fire hall.
- Media Release: Pitt Meadows Council Selects Location for New Fire Hall (March 7, 2019)
- On March 5, 2019 Council approved a re-build of the new fire hall on the current site.
- The decision to replace the aging fire hall was made November 28, 2017 following a report by Johnston Davidson Architecture & Planning that showed the high need for a new facility.